Sometimes, trying to buy gifts for certain situations can take some thought. You really want to buy something the recipient can use, something they will like and something that will be appreciated. Plus, you also have to watch your budget on gifts, which can prevent you from getting a gift you really want for that person. What do you do?
I have been knitting for a few years and have gotten to where I can make some basic gifts with knitting - baby blankets, bags, dish clothes. I have just learned to crochet earlier this year and that can add to my craftiness. Being on a budget, I try to find things that are practical but useful. A young lady I know likes the knitted or crocheted dish clothes I make and so if I find I have some extra time and yarn, I will try to learn new stitches or make up a dish cloth or two. I learn something new in the process and she gets something useful.
But what about Christmas, birthday's, baby showers or other celebrations? If I plan far enough ahead, I can work on making a gift for that person. Many times I have made baby blankets for baby showers. I have been lucky enough to find a basic pattern that allows me to try different types of yarn. I have also been lucky enough that the mothers who I give these blankets too seem to really enjoy something handmade for the baby. Something I hope that they will keep and pass on to the child when the child becomes older.
Can knitting or crochet get expensive? Yes, it can. It depends on the yarn you use and how much you need of it. Plus, some yarn is hand wash/air dry only. So, I really have to think about who is getting the yarn and how much time they may have to take care of the gift. A mother on a busy schedule may not have time for hand wash/air dry but can do something that can be washed on delicate and then dried on low in the dryer or maybe air dry.
Overall, I have found that people do enjoy getting handmade gifts still. Or maybe it is just the people I give them too that really like them. Use your own judgement to see if a person would like a handmade gift and maybe that gift will be something they use and enjoy for a long time. Plus, learning a new skill never hurt either. So, being crafty can be easy on your budget if you plan right. There is nothing wrong with a little handmade gift!!
What do you think?
Jenn
No comments:
Post a Comment